What mom doesn’t love a good checklist? I mean, really – we are running around with weekly school emails, teacher emails, coach emails, groceries to buy, meals to fix, doctor’s appointments to schedule… who can keep it all straight?
I sure can’t! Checklists are my saving grace.
In the midst of the wonderful craziness that is mom-life, you can bet the one thing I am not thinking about is what I need to do to maintain my house for the cold coming in. I am more the last-minute “it is freezing in here” and rush to the store to buy plastic for the windows.
Fortunately for us – Jarboe’s Heating, Cooling & Plumbing created a checklist to help us prepare for the cold and prevent costly damage. All I can say is “thank you” because I for sure would have let this one slip without their tips!
Below are their top eight fall preventative home maintenance tasks that every homeowner should follow.
1. Examine the Outside of Your Home
- Check your foundation for cracks.
- Inspect exterior walls to see if paint is peeling or blistering.
- Look for warning signs on your roof: shingles that are buckled, cracked, or missing; rust spots on flashing. Loose, damaged, or missing shingles should be replaced immediately.
2. Check – and Clean – Your Gutters and Downspouts
- Clean your gutters to remove leaves, twigs, and gunk. Clogged rain gutters can cause ice dams, which can lead to expensive repairs.
- Make sure gutters aren’t sagging and trapping water.
- Tighten gutter hangers and downspout brackets.
- Replace any worn or damaged gutters and downspouts.
- Make sure water drains properly and doesn’t pool.
- Check that the gutters are securely in place.
3. Your Heating System Checklist
- Replace the filter in your furnace.
- Have your system inspected by a licensed heating contractor. A furnace tune-up ensures your system is ready to operate safely and efficiently for the upcoming cold weather.
4. Optimize Energy Efficiency in Your Home
- Check for any draft issues. To check, close a door or window on a strip of paper. If the paper slides easily, you need to update your weather-stripping.
- Seal leaks around your doors and windows to prevent cold air penetration during the winter months.
- Clean your ducts.
- Consider a duct sealing service to further improve the energy efficiency of your home.
5. Give Your Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector Some Love
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Change the batteries in both devices.
6. Test Your Winter Equipment
- Make sure your fall and winter equipment (leaf and snow blowers, for example) is working properly and ready for the cold season.
7. The Plumbing Checklist
- Check to make sure your indoor and outdoor faucets are not dripping or leaking.
- Inspect and clean your sump pump. Sump pumps should be checked and cleaned annually.
- Flush your water heater to remove any sediment buildup, which can cause corrosion, shorten the lifespan of the water heater, and reduce its heating efficiency. Jarboe’s can help if you are unsure or uneasy with this task.
- Be prepared with who to call for water heater service. Your hot water heater has to work harder during the winter months and you don’t want this to be without hot water when your kid comes home shivering after football practice.
8. Before the Cold Weather Hits, Insulate Pipes and Seal Leaks
- Check to make sure you insulate your pipes in unheated areas, such as garages or crawl spaces. The last thing you need during the cold ahead is frozen pipes.
Jarboe’s has Louisville Families in Mind
The fall and winter are beautiful in Louisville and bring a sense of togetherness and quieter family times. Let your home be a sanctuary for warmth and comfort by preparing for the elements to come.
Jarboe’s Heating, Cooling & Plumbing is the complete home service company in Louisville. See why so many moms recommend Jarboe’s! Schedule your maintenance service before you are panicking with a dripping wet kid in a cold house.